- Estimated Cost: $1250
- Deposit: $635
- Max Trip Size: 8 people
With dense forests, granite slabs, high alpine meadows and lakes cradled beneath craggy granite peaks, The Wind River Range, or The Winds, as they’re called by fans, are jammed with bucket-list day hikes and backpacking trips that reward you with epic views and unbelievable beauty.
Titcomb Basin should be a place on everyone’s bucket list. The basin presents some of the best views of the core Wind River Mountains. The hike to Titcomb Basin has it all. The trail passes through dense forest, flowery meadows, lakes, and ponds. Many people come to this area for the world-class fishing and climbing, but this area is a treat for anyone who enjoys exploring and epic views.
This backpacking trip will consist of 30-40 miles over the course of 5 days, with a potential zero-day in the Titcomb Basin on day 3. Average daily mileage will be 6-8 miles. Average elevation is 10,000 feet. Total route elevation change is 5,000 feet. One full day after arrival will be spent either day hiking or paddling to help with acclimation.
8/20/22 – Fly MSP-JAC
8/21/22 – Day hike or paddling for acclimation
8/22/22-8/26/22 – Backpacking to and from the Titcomb Basin
8/27/22 – Fly JAC-MSP
- Flights to the Winds will be via Sun Country flights SY493 on 20 August, 2022 and SY494 on August 27, 2022. We will fly from MSP to Jackson Hole. Participants will book their own flights.
- I have rented a minivan that we will use for all local ground transportation.
- First 2 nights will be spent in a 4 bedroom/2 bath AirBNB in Pinedale, WY.
- 4 nights will be spent tenting in the backcountry.
- The final night will be spent at the Modern Mountain Motel in a deluxe double queen bunk room.
- Participants will provide their own backcountry food.
- Participants should expect to pay for 3 dinners in a restaurant and 1 takeout breakfast.
- We will purchase groceries locally for breakfasts and lunches for the first couple days.
- You must be capable of hiking at least 10 miles per day with a full pack at elevations of 10,000-11,000 feet.
- This trip will include backcountry camping, with no facilities available (no picnic tables, fire rings, or latrines).
- This is grizzly bear country. Be sure to plan an adequate food storage device. Some areas will have little to no trees.
- Overnight temperatures may dip as low as 25 degrees, with daytime highs in the 70s and 80s.
- A pre-trip plan review meeting will occur in June or July of 2022, with the date to be finalized at a later time.
- COVID-19 vaccination is required for this trip, as we will be sharing accommodations. Participants will be expected to be up to date with CDC vaccination recommendations at the time of the trip.
Deposit: $635 (payment required to hold your spot)
Gas and groceries: ~$60
Airfare to JAC: ~$350
Estimated total cost: $1250/person
To sign up, please reach out to me by email to confirm availability. Do not book flights until I have confirmed space on the trip. Once you have booked your flight and paid the full deposit, your spot will be confirmed.