- Max Trip Size: 99 people
This session will cover a general overview of backpacking. Topics include trip planning, Leave No Trace, water treatment, hygiene, types of gear to bring/leave and food storage. Presented by Dave D. and Karen K. Meeting is via Zoom; link will be sent a few days ahead of the meeting.
To register for one or more educational sessions, send your name, email address, phone number and session dates to [email protected]. You’ll receive a reply email confirming your spot(s).
Thanks for your interest in the 2021 Minnesota Rovers beginner backpacking program! If you’ve been wanting to go on some of the awesome Rovers backpacking trips but don’t know where to start or just feel you need more experience, then this program is for you!
Our four-part program is comprised of a progressive series of trainings designed to get you on the trail.
- Six educational sessions over Zoom designed to teach you all the basics of backpacking.
- Backpacking Introduction
- Backcountry Basics
- Backpacks & Hiking Equipment
- Shelters & Sleep Systems
- Backpacking Clothing Systems
- Day training hikes to teach you how to hike with a backpack.
- Overnight training trips to nearby state parks where you can try out your new skills. Groups will be small to maximize your learning!
- Two-night training trips to practice moving camp and further hone your new skills.
Watch our website at www.mnrovers.org for future sessions to be posted. Beginner backpacking events and outings for the year will be posted throughout Spring of 2021.
- Rovers membership required for all parts of this program (including training, day trips and overnight events). Signup here: https://mnrovers.org/sign-up/
- Previous car camping experience required.
- Must be capable of day hiking up to 5 miles. (You’ll learn how to hike with a pack in this program!)
- Overnight trips: Must complete all 6 educational sessions and at least one day training hike.
Questions? Contact us at [email protected]