Within the first few steps, yards, or maybe miles of your backpacking trip, food eventually will sneak into your thoughts. So let’s be ready! This workshop will start you thinking about and planning for the food you will carry on your backpacking trip. We will share ideas about types and amounts of food, preparation options, budgeting, and meal plans. We will cover cookstove basics and things to consider in selecting a stove. We’ll also pass on a few of our favorite discoveries about eating on the trail. Our goal is to help prepare you for eating well on your first backpacking adventure! Meeting is via Zoom; link will be sent a few days in advance.
To register for one or more educational session, send your name, email address, and phone number to [email protected]. You’ll receive a reply confirming your registration.
Thanks for your interest in the 2023 Minnesota Rovers beginner backpacking program! If you’ve been wanting to go on some of the awesome Rovers backpacking trips but don’t know where to start or just feel you need more experience, then this program is for you!
Our four-part program is comprised of a progressive series of trainings designed to get you on the trail.
- Six educational sessions over Zoom designed to teach you all the basics of backpacking: (general backpacking skills; backcountry basics; choosing, fitting & packing backpacks; shelters & sleep systems, backpacking clothing systems; cooking/stove/nutrition).
- Day training hikes to teach you how to hike with a backpack.
- Overnight training trips to nearby state parks where you can try out your new skills. Groups will be small to maximize your learning!
- Two-night training trips to practice moving camp and further hone your new skills.
Watch our website for future sessions to be posted. Beginner backpacking events and outings for the year will be posted throughout Spring of 2023.
- Rovers membership required for all parts of this program (including training, day trips and overnight events). Signup here: https://mnrovers.org/sign-up/
- Previous car camping experience required.
- Must be capable of day hiking up to 5 miles. (You’ll learn how to hike with a pack in this program!)
- Overnight trips: Must complete all 6 educational sessions and at least one day training hike.
~ Participating in this program is not a requirement to join other MN Rovers activities or trips (only those coordinated by the Beginner Backpacking program).
~ Virtual attendance at the Zoom education sessions is required in order to participate in the day hikes and overnight trips (recordings are not available).
~ For those who started the program in a prior year but didn’t finish, your attendance carries over! You can pick up where you left off and complete the program.
Questions? Contact us at [email protected]