- Max Trip Size: 8 people
After you have completed the Beginner Backpacking Series “Choosing, Fitting & Packing Backpacks” education session (4/6/23 or 5/11/23), come join us for a day training hike to experience firsthand what it’s like to hike with a fully loaded backpack! We are offering multiple dates and times throughout May and June; pick one that works for you!
The goals of the day hike are to:
- Think about exactly what you need to bring. Some folks have been surprised at the amount of time it takes to gather gear, plan food, choose clothing, and fit it all into a backpack. You’ll want to start this process well before your hike day.
- Experience how it feels to carry 25 to 35 pounds for three to five miles.
You will be hiking 3-5 miles at a pace of approximately 2 mph when moving. Don’t worry! We’ll take breaks for snacks, water, and adjustments. Please allow three to four hours for the gear shakedown, hike, and snack/lunch. As part of this activity, we will ask you to dump out your backpack so we can help ensure you’re aware of what to pack in the most effective way. Use the MN Rovers backpacking gear list as a starting point: https://mnrovers.org/trip-planning/packing-and-gears-list/backpacking/
- The idea is to wear what you’d wear and bring what you’d bring for backpacking on a two-night/three-day trip.
- Use the equipment locker for a backpack if needed. To borrow and pick up a backpack from the equipment locker, contact the equipment directors ASAP at [email protected]. Please hold off on requesting other items from the locker. You will be able to borrow stoves/tents/sleeping bags & pads/bear vaults for overnight trips.
- Personal backpacking gear – bring it if you’ve got it! Otherwise, improvise substitutes using car camping gear, etc. Use water bottles to achieve weight (which are easy to dump if needed).
- Weigh your pack prior to this day hike. Plan to achieve 25-35 pounds.
- Wear good hiking footwear!
- Bring a blister kit/first aid kit, hiking with a loaded backpack is more stressful on your feet and body.
- Remember to bring water and a snack or lunch.
- Be prepared for all conditions, rain or shine. Activity is cancelled only in cases of severe weather (lightning, hail, tornadoes). Bring both your rain gear and your sunscreen.
- Participants must have already attended the Beginner Backpacking Series “Choosing, Fitting & Packing Backpacks” education session.
- Current Rovers membership is required to register and attend. We recommend turning on auto renew!
- You must be capable of day hiking up to 5 miles.
- RSVP is required to attend. Your spot is not confirmed until you receive a confirmation email.
- The Beginner Backpacking Series is made possible by 20+ awesome MN Rovers members generously donating their time. Please thank your volunteers for all of their efforts to make this program happen.
- We strongly suggest working on your physical fitness prior to this day hike. This day hike is intended to help you experience carrying a pack, but not to gain physical stamina.
- Please view the REI pack fitting video prior to attending this activity.
- If you own your own pack, we recommend a professional pack fitting from REI or Midwest Mountaineering prior to this activity.
- This activity is a prerequisite for Beginner Backpacking Series overnight trips.
- You will receive an email from the coordinator(s) approximately 1 week prior to the day hike with information regarding exact meetup point.
- Trip slots are limited, so in the event of a no-show/no call, you will only be able to sign-up for future trip waitlists.
- Slots in this activity are prioritized for first time attendees. Attending a second day hike is only by waitlist.
- Participants are responsible for arranging their own transportation and any parking or state park fees.