- Max Trip Size: 8 people
After you have completed the Beginner Backpacking Series “Choosing, Fitting & Packing Backpacks” education session, come join us for a day training hike to experience firsthand what it’s like to hike with a fully loaded backpack! We are offering multiple dates and times throughout June and July, pick one that works for you!
As part of this activity, we will ask you to dump out your backpack so we can help ensure you pack the right things in the most effective way. Use the MN Rovers backpacking gear list as a starting point for what you might pack: https://mnrovers.org/trip-planning/packing-and-gears-list/backpacking/
We will be hiking 3-5 miles at a pace of approximately 2mph when moving. Don’t worry! We’ll take breaks for snacks, water, and adjustments.
To register, send an email to beginnerba[email protected] indicating the date you’d like to attend.
- Wear what you’d wear and bring what you’d bring for backpacking.
- Remember to bring your own snack and/or lunch and bring water.
- Personal backpacking gear – bring it if you’ve got it!
- Pack for a 2 night, 3 day trip.
- Use the equipment locker for a backpack if needed. To borrow and pickup equipment from the equipment locker, contact the equipment directors 2 weeks prior at [email protected]
- Stoves/tents/sleeping pads/bear vaults from equipment locker should only be reserved for overnight trips (but bring your own if you have it)
- Weigh your pack prior to this day hike. Plan to achieve 30-40 pounds. If you need additional weight, add water bottles. Water is easy to dump if needed.
- Wear good hiking footwear!
- Bring a blister kit/first aid kit, hiking with a loaded backpack is more stressful on your feet and body.
- Be prepared for all conditions, rain or shine.
- Rain gear
- Sun screen
- Activity is cancelled only in cases of severe weather (lightning, hail, tornadoes)
- Participants must have already attended the Beginner Backpacking Series “Choosing, Fitting & Packing Backpacks” education session.
- Current Rovers membership is required to register and attend. We recommend turning on auto renew!
- You must be capable of day hiking up to 5 miles.
- RSVP is required to attend. Your spot is not confirmed until you receive a confirmation email.
- The Beginner Backpacking Series is made possible by 20+ awesome MN Rovers members generously donating their time. Please thank your volunteers for all of their efforts to make this program happen.
- We strongly suggest working on your physical fitness prior to this day hike. This day hike is intended to help you experience carrying a pack, but not to gain physical stamina.
- Please view the REI pack fitting video prior to attending this activity.
- If you own your own pack, we recommend a professional pack fitting from REI or Midwest Mountaineering prior to this activity.
- This activity is a prerequisite for Beginner Backpacking Series overnight trips.
- You will receive an email from the coordinator(s) approximately 1 week prior to the day hike with information regarding exact meetup point.
- Trip slots are limited, so in the event of a no-show/no call, you will only be able to sign-up for future trip waitlists.
- Slots in this activity are prioritized for first time attendees. Attending a second day hike is only by waitlist.