- Estimated Cost: $14
- Max Trip Size: 4 people
Pre-Trip Zoom Planning Meeting: Tuesday, July 13, time 7:00 PM
After you have completed the Beginner Backpacking Education Series and a Beginner Backpacking day training hiking, come practice backpacking with an overnight trip in a local park! We are offering multiple dates and times throughout the summer, pick one that works for you!
As part of this trip, we will ask you to dump out your backpack so we can help ensure you pack the right things in the most effective way. Use the MN Rovers backpacking gear list as a starting point for what you might pack: https://mnrovers.org/trip-planning/packing-and-gears-list/backpacking/
We will be hiking 3-5 miles per day at a pace of approximately 2mph when moving. Don’t worry! We’ll take breaks for snacks, water, and adjustments.
To register for this event, email us at [email protected] with your name and date of trip.
- You are responsible for packing and cooking your own meals. Remember to bring snacks as well!
- Use the equipment locker for gear if needed. To borrow and pickup equipment from the equipment locker, contact the equipment directors 2 weeks prior to trip at [email protected]
- Available equipment: Stoves, tents, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, bear vaults, backpacks, potty trowels, and tarps.
- All other equipment is supplied by the participants.
- Ask your trip coordinator about group gear (typically just a tarp) or tent sharing.
- Water filters: Your trip coordinator will inform you of the need for a water filter.
- Wear good hiking footwear!
- Bring a blister kit/first aid kit, hiking with a loaded backpack is more stressful on your feet and body.
- Be prepared for all conditions, rain or shine.
- Rain gear
- Sun screen
- Temperature extremes (check the forecast)
- Activity is cancelled only in cases of severe weather (lightning, hail, tornadoes)
- Pre-trip Zoom planning meeting: Your trip coordinator will contact you with the Zoom link for your planning meeting. Attendance at this meeting is required.
- Participants must have already attended all Beginner Backpacking Education Sessions and one Beginner Backpacking Day Training hike.
- For 2 night trips: Must have also attended one Beginner Backpacking Overnight Practice Trip.
- Current active Rovers membership is required to register and attend. We recommend turning on auto renew!
- You must be capable of day hiking up to 5 miles.
- RSVP is required to attend. Your spot is not confirmed until you receive a confirmation email.
- Waitlist: If you are registered for all prerequisites, you may sign up on the overnight trip waitlist and you may confirm your spot after you have completed all prerequisites.
- COVID-19 Vaccination will not be required.
- The Beginner Backpacking Series is made possible by 20+ awesome MN Rovers members generously donating their time. Please thank your volunteers for all of their efforts to make this program happen.
- We strongly suggest working on your physical fitness prior to this trip. This hike is intended to help you experience carrying a pack, but not to gain physical stamina.
- Please view the REI pack fitting video prior to attending this activity.
- If you own your own pack, we recommend a professional pack fitting from REI or Midwest Mountaineering prior to this activity.
- You will receive communications from the trip coordinator via email and the pre-trip Zoom meeting regarding times and exact locations.
- Trip slots are limited, so in the event of a no-show/no call, you will only be able to sign-up for future trip waitlists.
- Slots in this activity are prioritized for first time attendees. Attending a second overnight trip is only by waitlist.
- Cost estimates do not include transportation, food, or park entry fees. Carpooling/driving costs and food costs are up to each individual.
- Cancellation: If you cancel after your spot is confirmed, you will still be responsible for paying if the spot is not filled by another participant.