- Deposit: $25
- Max Trip Size: 4 people
Pre-Trip Zoom Planning Meeting: Saturday, September 17, 10:00 a.m.
After you have completed the Beginner Backpacking Education Series, a Beginner Backpacking day training hike, and a Beginner Backpacking overnight trip, come practice with a two-night trip out in the wilderness!
As part of this trip, we will ask you to dump out your backpack so we can help ensure you pack the right things in the most effective way. Use the MN Rovers backpacking gear list as a starting point for what you might pack: https://mnrovers.org/trip-planning/packing-and-gears-list/backpacking/
We will be hiking 3-5 miles per day at a pace of approximately 2mph when moving. Don’t worry! We’ll take breaks for snacks, water, and adjustments.
To register for this event, email us at [email protected] with your name and date of trip. Your spot is not confirmed until you’ve completed the prerequisites, we receive a non-refundable $25 deposit, and you receive a confirmation email.
- You are responsible for packing and cooking your own meals. Remember to bring snacks as well.
- Use the equipment locker for gear if needed. To borrow and pickup equipment from the equipment locker, contact the equipment directors 2 weeks prior to trip at [email protected]
- Available equipment: Stoves, tents, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, bear vaults, backpacks, potty trowels, and tarps. All other equipment is supplied by the participants.
- Ask your trip coordinator about group gear (typically just a tarp) or tent sharing.
- Water filters: Your trip coordinator will inform you of the need for a water filter.
- Wear good hiking footwear! Bring a blister kit/first aid kit, hiking with a loaded backpack is more stressful on your feet and body.
- Be prepared for all conditions: rain, shine or temperature extremes (check the forecast). Pack rain gear and sunscreen. Activity is cancelled only in cases of severe weather (lightning, hail, tornado).
- Pre-trip planning meeting: Your trip coordinator will contact you with the Zoom link or location for your planning meeting. Attendance at this meeting is required.
- Participants must have already attended all Beginner Backpacking Education Sessions, one Beginner Backpacking Day Training hike, and an Overnight Practice Trip.
- Current Rovers membership is required to register and attend. We recommend turning on auto renew.
- You must be capable of day hiking up to 5 miles.
- COVID-19 Vaccination is not required.
- The Beginner Backpacking Series is made possible by 20+ awesome MN Rovers members generously donating their time. Please thank your volunteers for all of their efforts to make this program happen.
- We strongly suggest working on your physical fitness prior to this trip. This overnight trip is intended to help you experience carrying a pack and setting up camp, but not to gain physical stamina.
- Please view the REI pack fitting video prior to attending this activity.
- If you own your own pack, we recommend a professional pack fitting from REI or Midwest Mountaineering prior to this activity.
- You will receive communications from the trip coordinator via email and the pre-trip meeting regarding times and exact locations.
- Trip slots are limited, so in the event of a no-show/no call, you will only be able to sign-up for future trip waitlists. Slots in this activity are prioritized for first time attendees. Attending a second overnight trip is only by waitlist.
- Cost estimates do not include transportation, food, or park entry fees. Carpooling/driving costs and food costs are up to each individual.
- Cancellation: If you cancel after your spot is confirmed, you will not receive a refund of your deposit. Deposits in excess of costs will be donated to the outdoor organization grants nominated by members and approved by the board at the end fiscal board year.