- Max Trip Size: 10 people
Would you like to be capable of making basic repairs or adjustments to your bicycle (or be aware of when to have it serviced at a bike shop)? Understand how to tweak your position on the bike to feel more comfortable? Learn how to confidently tackle hills?
Then come to this hands-on session on Saturday, July 30 to learn and practice. Afterwards, we’ll cycle the paved trails of the Reserve (there are 11 miles in total), getting to practice new riding skills.
We will meet at one of the two mountain bike trailheads—Parley Lake or Springview. I need to get a confirmation from Three Rivers about which one has the public repair stand we can utilize—participants will get that info beforehand.
Here’s what will be covered:
Wheel & tire removal and inner tube repair
- You will practice removing your wheels and tires; adequate securing of wheel in frame
- You will learn how to prepare & apply an inner tube patch. (I will bring glue, patches and old tubes so you don’t have to puncture your own!)
Choosing tire pressure
- High vs. low(er) pressure
Brake pad adjustment
- What is safe & proper adjustment?
- How to compensate for brake pad wear
- Wiggle test for play
Where, when and how to lubricate chains & other components
Gear shifting adjustments
- How you can restore crisp shifting
Handlebar & seat adjustments
- Plus component choices if the adjustments don’t help
Hill climbing & descending
- Strategies & skills for the ups and downs