- Estimated Cost: $22
- Deposit: $22
- Max Trip Size: 15 people
Let’s visit Bear Head Lake State Park in mid-September 2021! I have reserved the one and only Group Camp from Thursday to Sunday, Sept. 16-19. Our site is marked “G1” on the PDF map you can download from the park’s website: https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/park.html?id=spk00109#homepage
NOTE: I also have Wednesday night, Sept. 15. reserved, and plan to go up early. If you want to do 4 nights as well, let me know.
What is there to do?
- Hike: The park has 14 miles of hiking trails.
- Paddle: On the lake within the park. We should be able to put-in/take-out right from the group camp or drive to the beach.
- Visit Vermilion-Soudan State Park: See https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/park.html?id=spk00285#homepage
- Socializing: Boathouse Brew Pub and Restaurant (Ely, MN) https://www.boathousebrewpub.com or other options in Ely.
- Bike: Taconite State Trail. See https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_trails/taconite/index.html I am not sure how far this trail is paved.
- Learn: International Wolf Center, Ely. See https://www.wolf.org/visit/hours-fees-programs/
Meals: On your own, but we can plan to a potluck one night if there is interest.
Gear: I plan to bring my personal stove, water jug, and dishwashing station/equipment. I might bring the Rovers’ camp stoves for all to share, TBD, so maybe plan on your own stove for now until I figure this out.
Cost: $22/person (covers 3 nights camping and firewood costs)
I will provide everyone access to a Google spreadsheet for listing participant emails and phone numbers, and arranging carpooling.
I plan to reserve 2 spots for newer members (joined within the past year). I’ll hold 2 spots until July 1 then open them up to longer-term members.
Covid vaccination strongly recommended but not required.If you need gear, you can loan it from our club’s gear locker.