- Max Trip Size: 8 people
Curious about what’s involved in doing self-supported bike camping (where you carry your gear & food)? Whether you are considering doing an overnight trip, or one days or weeks long, this clinic aims to whet (or quell) your curiosity, or move you farther along in your decision-making (or action) process. Here’s what will be covered:
- Different modes of touring (i.e. road touring vs. bikepacking)
- What makes a bike suitable for loaded touring
- Assessing whether your bike is well-equipped to touring
- Camping gear: utilizing what you have (much if you already backpack), or find out what you need
- How to pack your bike
- Route planning resources
- Useful riding skills and physical preparation
If you have a bike you’re considering using on a tour, bring it for assessment. PERK!: I’ll tune its brake and shifting functions, if needed.
The clinic will take place at my home in Saint Paul, allowing to share my touring bike setups and have access to repair tools, along with the capacity to host a potluck! I’ll create a shared spreadsheet for participants to indicate potluck contributions.