- Estimated Cost: $1375
- Deposit: $575
- Max Trip Size: 4 people
Lost Creek Wilderness is located approximately 60 miles southwest of Denver. Unlike most of Colorado’s jagged Wilderness profiles, Lost Creek is a land of fascinating rounded granite domes and knobs, split boulders, rare granite arches, and tree-lined mountain parks. Its rock formations are among the most spectacular in the entire Rocky Mountains. Wilderness elevations range from 8,000 feet to 12,400 feet. Lost Creek got its name from its habit of repeatedly disappearing underground, later to reappear farther down the valley. Black bear, deer, elk, bighorn sheep, and bobcats share the region.
This backpacking trip will consist of approximately 37 miles over the course of 5 days! Average daily mileage will be 7-8 miles. Average elevation is ~10,000 feet. Total route elevation change is 8,000 feet.
During our acclimation day, we will ride the Pikes Peak Manitou Cogway, recently refurbished and re-opened. Pikes Peak is the easiest 14er out there! It’s a great way to get some high altitude exposure before our hike.
7/16/22 – Fly MSP-DEN
7/17/22 – Pikes Peak Manitou Cogway
7/18/22-7/22/22 – Backpacking loop in the Lost Creek wilderness
7/23/22 – Fly DEN-MSP
- Flights to Denver will be via Delta flights 1176 on 16 July, 2022 and 723 on July 23, 2022. We will fly from MSP to DEN. Participants will book their own flights and must be on the same flight. This is to ensure that we’re all either on-time or late together.
- I have rented a minivan that we will use for all local ground transportation. It’s enough to carry 4 people, packs, and limited additional bags.
- First 2 nights will be spent at Lone Duck campground near Pike’s peak. We have two “camper cabins.” They have a refrigerator, microwave, and fire pit. By backpacker standards, this is true GLAMPING. We have a fire pit, heated pool, showers, free WiFi, laundry, and more!
- 4 nights will be spent tenting in the backcountry.
- The final night will be spent at an AirBNB near the Denver International Airport. Everyone will have their own bed, but not necessarily their own bedroom. Most importantly, everyone will have SHOWERS!
- Participants will provide their own backcountry food.
- Participants should expect to pay for at least 3 dinners in a restaurant, 1 fast food lunch, and 1 airport breakfast. Please be flexible on spending, as plans may change on the fly based on what participants want to do and where we are.
- You must be capable of hiking at least 10 miles per day with a full pack at elevations of 10,000-12,500 feet.
- Experience at altitude is extremely important for this trip!!! I recommend obtaining a prescription for diamox prior to the trip, in case of acute mountain sickness. There will be minimal opportunities for evacuation in case of altitude affects.
- This trip will include backcountry camping, with no facilities available (no picnic tables, fire rings, or latrines). While fires are allowed in this wilderness area, I ask that we do not have fires in order to follow true Leave No Trace principals.
- This is wildfire season in Colorado. In the event that a wildfire impacts our destination area, I will plan a trip to another local wilderness area. You must be OK with the possibility of an itinerary change.
- This is black bear country (no grizzlies). Be sure to plan an adequate food storage device.
- Ample water is available in the Lost Creek wilderness. There should be no water carry greater than 5 miles. We may have some dry camps.
- Overnight temperatures may dip as low as 35 degrees, with daytime highs in the 70s and 80s. Be prepared for rain, especially afternoon thunderstorms every day.
- A pre-trip plan review meeting will occur in June or July of 2022, with the date to be finalized at a later time.
- COVID-19 vaccination is required for this trip, as we will be sharing accommodations. Participants will be expected to be up to date with CDC vaccination recommendations at the time of the trip (boosters, vaccines, etc.). This is an “honor system” and I ask that you respect it. A COVID-19 infection would ruin everybody’s trip/experience.
Deposit: $575 (payment required to hold your spot, I prefer Zelle or Venmo and also accept check)
Gas: ~$50 (paid after trip)
Airfare to DEN: ~$500
Food: ~$235 (paid by you)
Estimated total cost: $1375/person
To sign up, please reach out to me by email to confirm availability. Do not book flights until I have confirmed space on the trip. Once you have booked your flight and paid the full deposit, your spot will be fully confirmed.