- Estimated Cost: $25
- Deposit: $10
- Max Trip Size: 26 people
Let’s visit Forestville/Mystery Cave State Park over Memorial Day weekend 2023!
I have both group campsites (Riverview and Sumac Hill) reserved from Thursday to Monday, May 25-29 (four nights). The group sites are located in a wooded area near a branch of the Root River. The shared 3-sided shelter has electricity and picnic tables. Each group site has terraced campsites, water spigots, vault toilets, and fire ring. Showers are available at the main campground.
- Hike the 20 miles of trails within the park.
- Bike the Root River State Trail. The closest trailhead is located about 12 miles from the park in either Preston or Fountain.
- Paddle the Root River Water Trail. We’ll use the Eagle Cliff outfitter in Lanesboro to shuttle personal boats ($15) and rent boats ($25-$40 depending on boat type and trip length).
- Tour Historic Forestville Village (within the park): Tours are run by the Minnesota Historical Society and are available on Friday from 11-4, and Saturday & Sunday from 10-4. See https://www.mnhs.org/forestville.
- Tour a cave:
- Mystery Cave is a short drive away in a separate section of the state park
- Niagara Cave is in nearby Harmony
- Explore Lanesboro:
- Explore Preston:
- Visit a vineyard:
- Four Daughters Vineyard and Winery is in nearby Spring Valley
- Take an Amish Tour:
Meals will be on your own. We can plan a potluck for one night.
The cost will cover four nights camping and firewood.
You must be a member of Minnesota Rovers to go on this trip (see https://mnrovers.org/sign-up/), Members can reserve gear from the club’s gear locker.