- Estimated Cost: $210
- Max Trip Size: 6 people
Isle Royale – it’s lush, it’s green, it’s beautiful, it has water, and moose, and is only accessible by boat or seaplane (…if you’re a human)
So you want to go! Now what? This is not a beginner’s trip, and will not be given beginner type instruction. You must be able to pack and get all your gear ready, plus be able to actually do the hike. Plan to bring and carry everything you will need (including food). We’d like to pair folks up for tenting, and use some community items (like stoves, water pumps), and think in terms of being self-contained.
The trip looks like this:
- Day 1: Leave TC in early afternoon and get up and stay at Grand Portage (tip of MN)
- Day 2: Depart 7:30 am on Ferry, arrive at 1:30 pm at McCargoe Cove, hike 6.6 miles to Todd Harbor.
- Day 3: Hike to Hatchet Lake – 3.8 miles
- Day 4: Hike to Lake Desor South – 8.1
- Day 5: Hike to Island Mine – 5.5
- Day 6: Hike to Windigo – Early AM: 6.9 mile hike, Get on ferry noon, return to Grand Portage 3 pm — head back to TC (5 hour drive) (Or can combine Day 5 & 6 hike would be 11.6 miles (combining the Day 5 & 6 hikes…it’s just longer if you have to take a jog over and camp at Island Mine.)
As a group we’ll have conversations about whether we want to do group food, which group gear we’ll bring, finalizing the route, carpooling, etc. There are a limited number of spots on the ferry to McCargoe Cove. I will book the ferry tickets Weds., June 30th. That doesn’t mean the trip is closed at that point, just that you’d need to book your own ferry and hope for availability. Estimated cost: $210 + Food + Gas. Deposit – if I’m booking your ferry: $160; if I’m not booking your ferry: $20.Max trip size: 6.
Amy E. Trip report